Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate some lantana and Rosemary that I have in my backyard

Customer Question
garden and she's got diarrhea...
My dog ate some lantana and Rosemary that I have in my backyard garden and she's got diarrhea and hasn't eaten her food in two days. She's not playful and seems to be sick.
Are these plants toxic and what should I do to help her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/23/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you.Unfortunately, both of these plants are toxic to dogs. Lanatana is a mild to moderate toxin that can cause depression/lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and weakness and if enough is ingested can cause liver damage or failure. Certain species of rosemary are moderately toxic as well and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and loss of appetite. Neither toxin is likely to be fatal, but secondary side effects such as severe dehydration can be. Since it sounds like this happened days ago, there is little that can be done in terms of preventing absorption but since she has clinical signs, monitoring and supportive case at a vet clinic would be ideal. If she has had diarrhea this long she likely also has dehydration, which can be dangerous or even fatal if severe enough. To help prevent severe dehydration I recommend (in addition to a trip to her vet) encouraging her to drink more water or fluid such as low-sodium chicken broth or pedialyte. Thank you for your question and I hope you find this information useful. Please feel free to respond with additional questions. Once you are satisfied with my answer please rate my answer so I receive credit for my time. Best,Dr. Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian