Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Boxer was out to potty and he did venture into neighbors…

Customer Question
My Boxer was out to...
My Boxer was out to potty and he did venture into neighbors back yard, he came in and took a nap. Now he is panting, acting scared and a bit lethargic, trouble getting on sofa and holding his tongue in a weird way and sneezing. He's not drooling and his mouth is a little dry?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/23/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you. I am honestly quite concerned about Luka- his wandering away followed by the clinical signs you are noting are most consistent with ingestion of a toxin that is causing neurological symptoms. ***Such toxic exposures can be fatal so I therefore highly recommend Luka be taken to a veterinarian promptly for evaluation and treatment*** Unfortunately, if it has been longer than an hour (I'm guessing so since he napped?), there is nothing you can do at home. If it has been less than an hour you can try to induce vomiting (please let me know if that is the case and I can instruct you on how to do this).Time is of the essence with toxins, so I highly recommend he see a vet quickly.
I do also want to note that Boxers are a breed prone to epilepsy, causing seizures. Though the signs you note do not sound like an active seizure, they could be caused by a post-ictal (post seizure) phase, which is characterized by residual neurologic signs such as incoordination and confusion. This is another possible cause therefore. Many pets will wander when they don't feel well or get confused, so that may be why he wandered away. If this is the cause, a trip to the vet is still warranted to evaluate whether it may be worthwhile to put him on an anti-seizure medication.
Thank you for your question- I hope you find this information useful. Please feel free to respond with additional questions or concerns (I will be online for another hour or so and could respond promptly). Once you are satisfied with my answer, please rate my answer so I receive credit for my time (I receive credit no other way). Please also let me know how Luka does! Best, ***** *****
Hi Donna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Luka. How is everything going?

Vet_Dr.Drea