How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 13038
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have small dog weighting 7 pounds that ingested etodolac

Customer Question

I have small dog weighting 7 pounds that ingested etodolac 300mg gel tabs. I don't think she chewed more than 1 capsules. Is this enough to poison her and how long before she shows symptoms
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today.This dose is definitely concerning, with her weighing 7 pounds (3.2 kg) and the medication being 300 mg that means she ingested a dose of about 94 mg/kg which is a toxic dose for her size. In a study of this medication:Elevated dose levels of EtoGesic Tablets, i.e.≥40 mg/kg/day (18 mg/lb/day, 2.7X the maximum daily dose), caused gastrointestinal ulceration, emesis, fecal occult blood, and weight loss. At a dose of ≥80 mg/kg/day which is what your dog ingested (36 mg/lb/day, 5.3X the maximum daily dose), 6 of 8 treated dogs died or became moribund as a result of gastrointestinal ulceration. If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 1 teaspoon) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.If this occurred more than an hour ago or you are unable to get her to vomit then I strongly urge you to get her to a veterinary er where they can get her on medications to protect her stomach and reduce absorption of the medication. In addition, likely will put her on iv fluids to flush the drug out of her system. I cannot emphasize enough this is a toxic dose for your little one and actions need to be taken to prevent signs of vomiting, diarrhea, potentially intestinal or stomach perforation, changes to the kidneys, and unfortunately death. I know this is terribly scary but I would definitely get her to bring up the medication or get her to a veterinary er asap... If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Now most of these studies were done over a period of time but the high dose is still very much of a concern and should be addressed asap