Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My labrador has had 3 or 4 seizures over the last few months , he has

Customer Question

My labrador has had 3 or 4 seizures over the last few months , he has had blood test and a bile acid test which has all come back clear, over the weekend I think I may have stopped him having more fits but I am not sure, he like freezes and it's as if he doesn't know where he is and ten he starts panting and walking in and out of all the rooms , not sure what to think. We have talked about medication but we were going to see how he goes on , I am really worried about him, I did film one of his fits and vet thought it was a focal onset
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I would very much like to see the video. You'll need to upload it to an external site (YouTubee.g.) and then give me the link. Make sure it's not marked "private". His freezing and then panting and aimless wandering suggest complex partial seizures (previously called petit mal and now called psychomotor seizures). If you're seeing more than one of these events during a 24 hour period (or more than one monthly), these patients should be placed on anticonvulsives.