Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was just started on doxycycline after a positive Lyme

Customer Question

My dog was just started on doxycycline after a positive Lyme test. Yesterday we noticed she had large bumps on her face and her hair was standing up. I thought it could be a possible allergy to the medication or did not know if she was allergic to something in my yard or insect bites. She just woke me up and she's now got the bumps on her head and abdomen. I have been giving her Benadryl which seems to help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now this is not a typical reaction we'd expect with this medication. If anything, we could see stomach upset or appetite loss with Doxycycline.
Therefore, in this case, I would be more suspicious of a possible insect sting or allergic reaction for Roxie. Therefore, I would advise keeping her on the Benadryl at a dose within the 0.5-2 mg per pound of her body weight and do that every 8 hours for the next 24 hours. If she doesn't totally settle down by that point, then we are best having a check with her vet to assess her. They can make sure there is no relation to what she has been given but more importantly they can use a dose of steroid to halt that allergic reaction for her and get her back to normal.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alicia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Roxie. How is everything going?

nekovet