Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog just at a 20 mg cipralex pill

Customer Question

My dog just at a 20 mg cipralex pill
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Tater Tot ate 20mgsof Cipralex (Escitalopram) an SSRI that treats depression and generalized anxiety disorder in people.How much does Tater Tot weigh?How long ago was this?How is he behaving now?Do you have 3% hydrogen peroxide at home?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No hydrogen. Hes 68 pounds
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was 15 minutes ago
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
We do not use this drug in dogs, so ideally I recommend that you induce vomiting if he ingested this less than 3 hours ago.I would give him 1 Tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight (no more than 3 tablespoons even if he is more than 35 pounds) orally, mixed with bread chunks or a little ice cream.Then get him running around to get the peroxide bubbling so he vomits.If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose.Symptoms of toxicity of these types of drugs in dogs can include agitation, depression, aggression, vocalization, seizures, lack of coordination, tense muscles, muscle tremors or spasms, change in heart rate, increase in blood pressure, elevated body temperature and diarrhea. The more they ingest the more serious the toxicity.If we cannot get him to vomit the pill the safest thing would be to see a veterinarian to have activated charcoal administered, fluids given and observation and treatment of other symptoms as they occur.But since he's a good sized English Bulldog (at least 50 pounds) then odds are 20mgs won't cause serious symptoms for most dogs.You are likely to see incoordination and sleepiness, maybe stomach upset, but not the more serious effects we see with higher doses, like muscle tremors or seizures, or changes in blood pressure.If you choose you can elect to observe him and have him examined if you see tremors or an elevated heart rate..I would expect him to sleep away the effects of this dose, unless he is very, very sensitive.Keep him away from stairs.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
I would confine him to a small room so he cannot hurt himself and watch him closely.Do you have any further questions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But i dont have hydrogen i said. ūüėĒ
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
I saw that after I started typing my response, as well as his size. While if you had peroxide I would have you induce vomiting, since you don't then your options are a watch and see approach or the emergency clinic.Thus my comments about the amount he ate likely not causing more serious effects because he's a big fellow. You are likely to see incoordination and sleepiness, maybe stomach upset, but not the more serious effects we see with higher doses, like muscle tremors or seizures, or changes in blood pressure.If you choose you can elect to observe him and have him examined if you see tremors or an elevated heart rate..I would expect him to sleep away the effects of this dose, unless he is very, very sensitive.Keep him away from stairs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Some dogs will have paradoxical (opposite effect) excitement and agitation. But that too isn't serious and these effects should wane over the next 24 hours.He won't be himself, and sometimes they get aggressive, so do be cautious around him.Do you have any further questions for me?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I just wanted to check and see how Tater Tot is feeling. If you could give me an update that would be great, thanks, ***** *****