Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 6 year old Rotti with diabetes. He hasn't eaten since

Customer Question
yesterday AM. He is also...
I have a 6 year old Rotti with diabetes. He hasn't eaten since yesterday AM. He is also vomiting. I have not given insulin since yesterday when he ate. I know his sugar is elevated by the amt of water he's drinking. Do I hold his insulin. I am planning on getting him to the vet ASAP in the AM
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
how long will this take ?
6/22/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gene, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Hi there, sorry about the wait!I would not give the insulin if he is not eating. When there is no food coming in, it's better to skip the insulin and have a higher sugar level, than to give the dose of insulin and risk hypoglycemia, which could be quite serious.
When you take him to your vet in the morning, they will hopefully figure out why he's not eating and then adjust his insulin dose/regimen; until then, it won't hurt if his blood sugar stays high.Hope this helps; please let me know if you have any other questions/concerns. Best of luck!
He's vomiting & now nothing is coming up except white foam... & he' really drooling. The emergency vet is an hour away. Do you think I can wait till the AM or would you advise to go to the vet now...
I think it would be best to make the drive... So many complications can happen in a diabetic dog and some can be quite serious. I think it's better to get this looked into earlier and perhaps find out it's not that serious, than wait and get into a situation that's potentially more serious than it could have been. I'm sorry to hear he's not well. Please let me know if you have other questions before you head out.
My husband doesn't want to make the trip & spend the 150.00 its going to be just for the visit. Im scared tho & want to go. What kind of problems may occure if we wait another 8 hour? Plus the dog doesn't ride well at all...
Well, you have to make the best of the situation you have on hand then... It's difficult to predict what will happen because there are so many things that could be wrong. There isn't much you can do now, but I would not give the insulin because it may make things worse. You can try feeding him a small amount of wheat bread, plain low fat cottage cheese or plain cooked white rice; if he eats it, wait another hour and give a bit more, then take him to your vet in the morning as soon as you can... I'm sorry to hear he's so sick; hopefully, he'll get comfortable, sleep for the rest of the night and feel better tomorrow after he's looked at.
OK THX .
You're welcome and best of luck!
Hi MaryBeth,
I wanted to check in with you and see how things were going. Have you had any new questions come up?
Hi Marybeth,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

We lost our pup on wed. due to pancreatitis. He was on Iv's at the vet for 2 days before we decided it was time to let him go.

I'm so very sorry. Please take care...
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian