Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I am sorry to hear that Sissy has a sore, itchy anal area tonight.She may be trying to lick her perianal area after eating in response to a food allergy which can cause perianal itchiness.Other reasons for perianal itchiness include constipation or diarrhea, fleas, tapeworms or other gastrointestinal parasites, full or infected anal glands or impaction of the glands.Make sure that her stools are normal size and consistency and look for any signs of worm packets that look like grains of rice too. If she's had fleas at all in the past year then tapeworms are a real concern and then you may choose to treat for those with a wormer containing praziquantal. I would also recommend submitting a stool sample to check for other gastrointestinal parasites. If she has had fleas even if you don't see them now I do recommend using protection. They are the most common allergen and it only takes one bite a month to make an allergic dog lick and scratch excessively so I recommend using flea prevention even if you never see one again. Frontline Plus, Advantage II or Advantix are excellent. Don't use over the counter products, especially Hartz or Sargents, as most are ineffective if not toxic
. Tomorrow she should have her anal glands checked either by your veterinarian or an experienced veterinary technician to make sure they aren't a problem. Tonight if she will let you she may benefit from a cool compress to the area, patting dry and then applying a light coat of cortisone cream (like cortaid) to the area a couple times tonight. Try not to let her lick. The ointment isn't truly harmful, but it can't work if she licks it off. If she won't leave the area alone then an elizabethan (lampshade) collar is best, ***** ***** can place a pair of small boy's underwear on her (tail through the fly) so she cannot reach the area to lick or scoot. If this came on suddenly and she's been fed a new food or treats
, or had table food my thought would be this is a food allergy. Treatment is topical cortisone and not exposing her to the allergen again. It can take a few weeks to get the allergen out of her system.If this has been going on a while perhaps she is allergic to her food and I recommend a hypoallergenic
diet trial. You could try a true hypoallergenic diet like Hills z/d or Purina Veterinary Diets HA. No treats, flavored medication or bones
while on the diet and it must be used for a least 12 to 16 weeks to see the full effects, though most owners see some improvement in 6 to 8 weeks.Finally if she is having trouble passing stools then adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of pumpkin (not pie filling, just canned pumpkin) to each meal will help soften her stools and make them easier to pass and thus make her more comfortable.Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.