Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog was dewormed yesterday and last night he had blood in

Customer Question

My dog was dewormed yesterday and last night he had blood in his stool and today too. I that normal?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How old is your dog? 2- What is the name of the dewormer? 3- Any other symptoms?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, I am going to opt out so another expert can help you in case you come back. I am going offline. Sorry.
Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My dog is 12, 13 this year, the dewormer was a shot of Pyrantel Pamoate 50mg/mL they gave him 1 ml. No other symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
i'll follow up for Dr. Peter for you. No, the well-tolerated pyrantel pamoate isn't expected to cause hematochezia - blood in the stool. If Panda were being wormed for either whipworms or hookworms, however, the wormer may have dislodged those parasites from the lining of the GI tract which could cause transient bleeding. Alternatively, the protozoan Giardia which can cause such bleeding may be present. Giardia isn't addressed with pyrantel pamoate but, instead, fenbendazole. if bleeding persisted for more than 72 hours, it would prudent to let Panda's vet know what you're seeing. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.