Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have just got a 8 week old lab puppy. She was on eukanuba…

Customer Question
I have just got a...
I have just got a 8 week old lab puppy. She was on eukanuba puppy food and i have been mixing eukanuba and pedegree puppy food to wein her off of the eukanuba. She has gotten into my big dogs food which its ol roys meat and gravy. Also she has sneakaly been knawing on his real beef bone. She has had diarrea when i got her. Shes up to date on shots and has been wormed. Today she pooped out some mucus and a little bit of blood. Is it the food?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!First, congratulations on your new addition!Unfortunately it is very common for new adoptions to develop diarrhea and progress to mucus and blood as well which is an indicator of colitis. With her age and even if vaccinated there is always a concern of Parvovirus because their immune system is not fully developed at this age.That being said, the stress of going to a new home, a diet change, then getting into your adult dog's food and treat this can cause diarrhea in and of itself. I would estimate 25+% of new puppies I see develop diarrhea within 1-2 weeks of adoption and require medical intervention. It is stress related but also the weaker immune system leaving them more prone to parasites and bacteria that causes this situationToday I would advise starting her on a white rice and boiled diet until your vet opens in the morning, which is bland yet bulking to the intestinal tract and if this is just stress related it will allow her to start to resolve these signs. Tomorrow morning I would collect a fresh sample for your vet to evaluate to rule out parasites (some puppies require multiple dewormings in order to resolve a heavy worm burden), giardia, coccidia, or stress related causes and hopefully get her feeling better and allow her to start to develop formed stool againPlease let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today! I hope you have many happy years together!!! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian