Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is it okay to give a dog a tramadol pain that was

Customer Question
Is it okay to give...
Is it okay to give a dog a tramadol for neck pain that was prescribed for him 4 years ago and has no expiration date on it?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!It is a bit odd that there is no expiration date on the vial but that might be the prescription label that your veterinary office dispenses.Very likely the medication is expired, from memory when we receive tramadol it has an expiration date about 2 years from distribution but if your dog is in pain and you are needing to give him relief then I would still consider administering the medication. It of course is not ideal but if he is having neck pain I would consider testing a low end dose of the tramadol to see if it gives him reliefHe might have mild sedation with the tramadol so please monitor closely for this as wellPlease let me know how else I can assist you both today! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!