Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 3 year old morkie is tilting her head sideways (towards…

Customer Question
My 3 year old morkie...
My 3 year old morkie is tilting her head sideways (towards her left) and walking sideways as well. Other than that she's very active and acts normally
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Recently, she's been unable to jump on and off things (the bed, sofa, etc) and she used to be able to do this before. She was taking medication for an ear infection (ear drops) but is currently not on medication.
6/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about shelly hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
There are a fairly limited number of possible explanations for these symptoms you're seeing which I'll list below.
A head tilt indicates vestibular disease although the underlying cause may not be immediately obvious.
1. An inner ear or middle ear infection which could have developed as an extension of her previous outer ear infection or could have developed on it's own.
This is going to be the most common cause for a head tilt in a dog this age although it would take an MRI to definitely diagnose such a problem (not something most of my clients can afford)Most patients will respond quite well once antibiotics are started.
2. Brain lesion such as a tumor or encephalitis...although I'd expect her to have other neurologic signs (and she's on the young side for a brain mass).
3. Hypothyroid disease can predispose some dogs to have issues with an inner ear issue but it's not as common as an infection (#1).
If this were my case, I'd start Shelly on antibiotics and expect to see improvement within a relatively short period of time (< 7 days). If not, then additional testing may be required.
I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb
Hello again,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Shelly. How is she doing? Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian