Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

On Friday afternoon (sometime between 12pm - 4pm) my dog (a…

Customer Question
On Friday afternoon (sometime between...
On Friday afternoon (sometime between 12pm - 4pm) my dog (a 21 lb Coton de Tulear) got into the fridge and ate some cheese and a whole steak (raw). He threw up a lot before we got home, and last night had diarrhea pretty bad. He threw up again today a couple of times, without eating anything, around noon today and still had diarrhea. He hasn't drank anything all day. I tried to feed him some rice to see if it would settle his stomach. He ate maybe 1/4 cup. He kept it down for about 3 hours and then threw it all up again. I really hate seeing him like this, and don't know what to do. I'm looking for any advice.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Did the steak have a bone? If so, did he it too? 2- Can you check his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
The steak didn't have a bone.
He ripped maybe half a quarter size of the Styrofoam container off to get to the steak (the packaging the meat usually comes in). I'm pretty sure that was vomited up in the first round, that day.His gums look fairly pink .. I think they're what they usually look like.He just had a big drink of water just now. I don't know if it'll stay down.
Half a quarter - like money - not a quarter of the container.
Friend, I am a bit concern of the symptoms he is showing after eating the steak and cheese. The symptoms are consistent with pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). Untreated pancreatitis could have a fatal outcome. The fact that he has been vomiting since Friday afternoon I am also concern about his hydration. It is very difficult to maintain hydration if he is vomiting. At this stage the best option is to have him checked tonight by ER veterinarian for IV suppotive care (fluids, anti emetics, etc.). In addition, do some testing to rule out pancreatitis. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until he is seen by family veterinarian: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract and pancreas time to rest. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- Follow up with you family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
So, Friday as in yesterday - not a week ago. Is it still that concerning?
Yes, I assume it was yesterday. It is a concern. Please reply if you have additional questions.
I don't have access to a vet until Monday, and won't be able to get Pepcid AC until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. We live in a somewhat rural community.
I am sorry you are in a rural area. Then, fast him as I described above and start him on the pepcid ac as soon as you are able to pick it up in the nearest pharmacy.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Marley. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter