Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog (chow mix) seems to be wet apparent reason...she

Customer Question
my dog (chow mix) seems...
my dog (chow mix) seems to be wet for no apparent reason...she has been on baytril injections for the last 3 days, the last being last night. She does pant a lot & she did throw up last night
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I do apologize for the delay in another expert jumping in to answer.
Why is she on Baytril injections and not oral? The oral works just as effectively for this type of a problem with less pain and possibly complications if not administered properly at home. If we have a terribly resistant infection as known based on a urine culture/sensitivity panel as was sent to the lab, then I would highly suspect Baytril to be one of the first drugs this organism is resistant to. There are other choices, especially if we are turning to using an injection of a product.
Is she on any other medications right now?
Where is this wetness (hind end or face/neck or side)?
What testing has been done to arrive at a conclusion that baytril must be given as an injection to cure her (e.g., urinalysis, urine culture, CBC, chemistry profile, X-rays)?
Thanks for a answering some questions. tHis helps me provide you with a better answer.
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian