Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Good evening, I hope you can help me I have a little Maltese…

Customer Question
Good evening, I hope you...
Good evening, I hope you can help me I have a little Maltese Cross she's 10 pounds. For the last time I have 3 hours she is been endeavouring to vomit spitting up a çlear bile and it's kind of fuzzy. She also has been choking in order to throw up as she's choking and heaving. I might think that she's been poisoned. Eaten something she shouldn't have. She was hardly away from me today. but she's much distressed. Of course I don't know what to do, please help us. Its Saturday evening or I could take to our vet. Your advise will be greatly appreciated. Susan Calloway -***@******.***
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Sophie. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. If you look at her gums, are they pink in color, or do they look pale? Can you take her rectal temperature at home?
There are many reasons why dogs vomit. Eating something they shouldn't is one, but she could also have an infection (virus, bacteria), an obstruction, or an internal illness like pancreatitis. If here gums are pink, that is a good sign.
Can she drink, and keep anything she drinks down? If she can drink, I would offer only small amounts of clear fluids for now: water, broth, ice cubes, Pedialyte. How much does she weigh? You could try giving her a little Famotidine (Pepcid AC), 1/4th of a 10 mg pill, for vomiting and nausea.
It appears you are not online. I hope you see this soon. Let me know what other questions you have.
are pink. I don't know how to take a dogs temperature do you use a regular people thermometer rectally?I'll look and see what kind of small matters I have. Hopefully you give me a call(###) ###-#### ***** I look forward to your call Rebecca
Yes, you use a regular "people" thermometer rectally to take a temperature in dogs. Normal is between 101 and 102.
It is a good sign her gums are pink.
I am afraid I can't make a phone call, sorry. I can continue in this format, or I can opt out for another expert who might be able to call you.
Let me know how she is doing, and if you want to continue with me, or have me opt out.
I will be offline now for the night. I will opt out, and I hope another expert can help you or phone you.
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian