Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

Is there a dog stomach virus going around right now? My 9

Customer Question

Is there a dog stomach virus going around right now? My 9 lb maltepoo has thrown up about 5 times and had diarrhea with blood for about 12 hours.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 2 years ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Sadie and her upset stomach. I am happy to help you this evening. Since she is a small dog and has vomited 5 times and had bloody diarrhea she should definitely be seen by a vet as soon as possible. She does not have a lot of reserves and is going to get dehydrated and become more ill the longer you wait. There are a few different types of viruses that can cause this in dogs but there is also different types of bacteria that can cause this that she can just pick up in the environment. Also it could be something that she ate out of the ordinary that could cause upset stomach. There is nothing over the counter that can be used once they are vomiting or having bloody diarrhea that is really going to help her enough to get her over this. She will need some prescription medications and fluids to help make sure she doesn't get dehydrated. I would have her seen by an emergency doctor tonight if possible to get her treatment soon. Even though it could just be a virus they usually make them sick enough that medications and treatment is necessary. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sadie. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead