Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a bone stuck in the roof of her mouth. What can…

Customer Question
My dog has a bone...
My dog has a bone stuck in the roof of her mouth. What can we do?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/20/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. I have seen this happen before. Will she let you open her mouth and try to get it out or is she refusing to cooperate?
no she will not
No she will not let us near her mouth
Ok unfortunately there are no magic tricks to get it out if she will not let you touch her mouth.If you can get help to hold her, point her nose at the ceiling, that will cause the mouth to open, then take a spoon and slip it under the bone to pry it out.Otherwise, you will need to take her to the emergency vet and have them remove it, possible with sedation, for you.You can give her about 12 hours to try and get it out herself if she will not cooperate with you removing it yourself.After 12 hours, she needs to see the vet and have it removed so there is not tissue damage.
I am in Centerville MO. Where can I call to get A vet to come out to are home?
You can try this one: http://www.horizonmobilevet.com/
http://us.veterinby.com/emergency-vet-usa/centerville-244312/