Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have 3.2 pound toy poodle. he gets separation anxiety even when he…

Customer Question
i have 3.2 pound toy...
i have 3.2 pound toy poodle. he gets separation anxiety even when he is in his little carry bag. hes he's fine if he has a chewy treat to eat but after he will make noises/ and bark that he wants out. even many times before the chew stick is finished!. he's very happy to go in it since he knows he's coming w me! :) but then he is not relaxed or calm after about 10 min maybe. I've had a toy poodle in the past who stayed in there so quietly for bit as needed. very content. I believe this guy always wants attention. I see it when I'm just home too wanting attention 90 per cent of the time. there r times though when I really need him to be okay and calm in his carrier for a bit. my vet gave me Valium for him and we started slowly w a 1/4 of 2mg and it did nothing. she said slowly increase. I've given him from 1.5 mg and 1.75. and no affect! why is that? I've tried all types of over the counter calming aids all natural and not all natural... and nothing seems to help at all.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 2 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.
What type of training do you do with him?Please name the over the counter products you have used?How long have you had this pup?What do you do when he acts out?
Relist: Answer quality.
I wanted my question answered by a DVM. the two related small questions in my detailed question were regarding the dosage of Valium for a 3.2 pound adult poodle, the highest dosage that's ok because no affect so far and is there something similar and safe.
Thank you. I will opt out and let a Veterinarian answer. Different experts come on at different times, hopefully a Vet will be on soon:)
I wish you the best of luck with your pup:)
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian