Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Theyre having a Dachshund social today at wheaton County…

Customer Question
Theyre having a Dachshund social...
Theyre having a Dachshund social today at wheaton County Fairgrounds. Leaving my dog HOME for fear of DOG FLU. Before I go, is there ANY CHANCE WHATSOEVER that I could bring home those germs and unknowingly PASS IT ALONG TO THE FURRY LITTLE LOVE OF MY
LIFE? I heard on the mews last month that these damned germs can last up to 24 hours if an infected dog pees on a fire hydrant and later my jeans brush up again it, then I go home and my dog jumps onto my lap, etc Please confirm - IF I HO THERE AND THRRES
EVEN ONE SICK DOG THERE TOO, IS THERE ANY CHANCE AT ALL I COULD BRING THE GERMS HOME AND END UP GETTING MY DOG SICK????? Signed, loving voncerned scared doggy mom
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/20/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
I am very sorry to say but there would be a degree of risk that you could carry this home to your dog if you were exposed there today. When we have viruses that are as environmentally stable as this one is, we can carry them from the source of infection and potentially spread them to our own dogs. This is actually a common risk that we face as vets when we come home from work with sick animals to our own pets.
Therefore, I would strongly advise you to practice strict hygiene here. Ideally, you want to make sure to thoroughly wash your hands with soap an water after handling any dogs. Furthermore, once you arrive home afterwards, we would want to make sure to fully change your clothes and shoes before handling Maxie. These items should be kept out of Maxie's reach and ideally we'd want to pop those clothes you wore out into the washer on a warm/hot setting to kill the virus. That way we can reduce any risk that you bring home any viruses to her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maxie. How is everything going?

nekovet