Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My weimarainer isn't acting right he is 12 ur old intact male…

Customer Question
My weimarainer isn't acting right...
My weimarainer isn't acting right he is 12 ur old intact male he isn't eating as much as usual and he has on testicle that appears harder than the other one
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/20/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that Bullet isn't himself, not eating as much as usual and with one testicle harder than the other.Please give me several minutes to type up a response as to why he may have these symptoms.
I suspect that he has a particular type of testicular tumor called a Sertoli Cell Tumor. These tumors cause testicular enlargement, and can cause hair loss due to the effects of the increased amount of estrogen that they produce.I recommend that your fellow see his veterinarian as soon as it is convenient. Treatment is neutering but if the tumor is very large then a complete scrotal oblation is necessary, which is a more difficult surgery then a usual neuter. While these tumors are very slow to metastasize they can, and the larger the tumor is the more difficult the surgery is and the more uncomfortable he will be post-operatively. If a dog is exposed to high levels of estrogen for long periods of time they can become anemic, which could make him lethargic, so we do want to get this taken care of.Here is a link to an article about testicular tumors if you are interested in reading more:http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2087&aid=481Other possibilities for his symptoms are an infection, or a torsion of the testicle. Both of those however should cause him more pain then he seems to be feeling, although if he has a high pain tolerance then these are possible too, and well worth checking into.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Thank you I will make him an appointment
That sounds best, ***** ***** me know how things go for your fellow.