Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What to do about diarrhea in a dog?

Customer Question
What to do about diarrhea in a dog?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/20/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! My name is***** and I am happy to help you both today!So sorry to hear Buddy is having some loose stools. I can give you some basic guidelines to treat loose stools in dogs but if there is no improvement in the next 24-48 hours it would be prudent to have a fecal evaluation done by your veterinarian to ensure there are no medical causes of the diarrhea that require direct care- Begin feeding a mixture of white rice and lean meat such as boiled chicken. This is bland yet bulking at the same time so it helps firm up the stool- Supplement with 1 tbsp canned pumpkin every 12 hours as well- Begin pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours to help settle his stomach- Supplement his meals with water as well since diarrhea can leave Buddy mildly dehydrated depending on the severityIf there is no improvement, there is blood in the stool or he begins to have lethargy and vomiting as well it is time to have your veterinarian evaluate him and ensure no further treatment is required to get him back to his normal healthPlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I apologize the new format I viewed your question in didn't allow me to see the addendum about the antibiotics. He could be having a reaction to the antibiotics or antiinflammatories (if rimadyl was also prescribed) so I would contact your veterinarian in the morning to offer an alternative to the antibiotics first and foremost that might not be as upsetting to the gi tract
Please let me know how else I can assist you both today!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!