Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 12.5 year old rat terrier, is limping, saw the vet and she…

Customer Question
My 12.5 year old rat...
My 12.5 year old rat terrier, is limping, saw the vet and she thinks left front shoulder and or neck may have arthritis. She mentioned Arnica, what do you think? What about Arthro-ionx?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/19/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to help you both today!So sorry to hear your senior friend is having pain in the neck and/ or shoulder area. I think arthro ionx is a supplement that can be used to help reduce inflammation but typically it is used in conjunction with traditional medication and/ or therapy to reduce pain. If you want to avoid medications then I strongly recommend options such as acupuncture, laser therapy, physical therapy which can be used with this supplement to hopefully improved your Rat Terrier's quality of life in combinationIf you would like any assistance finding someone to perform the alternative therapies in your area I am happy to help or it sounds like your veterinarian is well informed about alternative medicine and can give you someone he/ she trustsPlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Other supplements used to reduce progression of arthritis and minimize pain include:
Glucosamine sulfate 1000 mg daily, fish oil with 1000 mg EPA & DHA daily, Vitamin E, Ester C are all great to slow progression of disease and assist in comfort