Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

No she has a dry nose. She has been sneezing the past few days

Customer Question

No she has a dry nose. She has been sneezing the past few days but not coughing. She is both dry heaving and retching. She dry heaved for a few minutes and then started retching. Once she retched a few times then she dried heaved again. I'm not sure how long it's been going on, I'm not usually the one checking on her. I'll grab the heart rate and check her tween in a bit
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

My first thought is that she may be suffering from an allergic reaction from either something she has ingested or something she has come into contact with. The treatment for this is Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 5-7 days. If the retching continues, this may also be due to a digestive disturbance and if this is the case, the treatment is as follows:

Fast your gal for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If these are not helpful, then you will have to have your vet examine your gal to know for sure what is causing this distress for your gal.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
umm, could this just be normal behavior? My husband says she actually does this on a regular basis (he is the one who normally cares for her). What else could be causing it?
It could be a normal behavior for your girl due to something congenital inside her throat or nose. Since she is actually normal aside from this, I would not be too worried about this unless it gets much worse.