Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Shiba inu broke his leg 8 weeks ago; the first week after

Customer Question
hi my Shiba inu broke...
hi my Shiba inu broke his leg 8 weeks ago; the first week after his splint he slipped out of it and walked around happily but his current vet insisted that we resplitted his leg. we did now after 4 1/2 weeks in his split they removed it and insisted to have him brought back every 3days to reapply bandages and sedate him for cleaning charging us 100$ a visit. we are a young couple and it's hard to make the payment and we asked for them to show us to clean it ourselves and they refused. we asked to see the wounds, they refused. tonight we removed and cleaned our puppies leg and he had major bleeds and sores all over and I want to know if we should have expected it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/19/2015
Dog Veterinarian: DrMelJ, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Hi there, thanks for the question. I'm sorry to hear about your dog's injury. It sounds like he has pressure sores for the splint. Yes this can happen sometimes, but generally we try to prevent it by limiting activity in the splint and checking it regularly. Was the slint never removed during the 4.5 weeks it was on? At this point, it does need to be clEaned and bandaged daily. Kept dry and limit activity. If the leg begins to smell or your dog act s depressed and feverish then he has likely developed an infection and will need aggressive antibiotic care. I understand the concern about money....I would recommend discussing this concern with the vet. If they will not help you do some of the care at home, find another vet who will. An owner cable trained to do wound management at home if the dog is compliant and doesn't need sedation for the cleaning and bandaging. As I can not see the nature of the wounds, I do not feel comfortable advising you specifically on how to clean and bandage them but I hope you can find a vet who will help you do so. I can tell you DO NOT use hydrogen peroxide in the wounds. It destroys healthy tissue and will lead to a granulomatous nonhealing wound. I hope this helps. Best of luck.
DrMelJ
DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian