Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Another bump question. 13 year old goldenn retriever. right…

Customer Question
Another bump question. 13 year...
Another bump question. 13 year old goldenn retriever. right side, near the rib cage area, a few inches behind her right shoulder. Very hard. I belive the liver is located in this area? the bump is pushing against her skin. Touching it appears to cause pain. I'm just trying to figure out what it is? I'm assuming cancer due to her age. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/19/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Camille-Mod,
 replied 3 years ago
Camille-Mod
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The liver is in the abdomen under and caudal (toward the tail) to the edge of the rib cage. It's very unlikely that what you're feeling is related to Sandy's liver. It's not necessarily a serious cancer; in fact, most of these lumps turn out to be benign lipomas - lumps of fat. If touching it is painful, however, there's likely to be inflammation associated with it and that's more worrisome. The manner in which we attempt to determine what the lump represents is by needle aspirating the lump and examining the aspirate microscopically. Sandy's vet might do this while you wait or, instead, send the aspirate to our pathologist for review. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.