Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is excoriated around both eyes and under and around…

Customer Question
my dog is excoriated around...
my dog is excoriated around both eyes and under and around front flank. I have tried numerous food changes currently on blue mt fish. My older male dog tolerates all of the changes well. Blood is now up to the skin surface. She has been on antibiotics and carprofen with no improvement. She has had this problem to a lesser degree in the past but it usually subsides significantly in winter months but is now not getting better year around. Can you give her any help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/19/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your dog's itchy skin problem. I'm so sorry he isn't doing well, but glad you're looking for the information you need.You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating. Thank you for providing such a concise and useful history and description. Based on the information you've provided, this sounds very much like allergic dermatitis. Mites are another possibility, but I wouldn't expect them to wax and wane with the season. In the case of allergies, we would not expect improvement on carprofen and antibiotics. Carprofen is an NSAID (an anti-inflammatory) that's good for arthritis and soft tissue pain relief, kind of like Advil for us. Antibiotics only help in some cases of bacterial infection. While a secondary bacterial infection can occur in some dogs who suffer with allergic skin disease, antibiotic therapy alone will not resolve the problem. Dogs with allergies are very, very common, and they are some of the most complicated and time consuming cases I deal with. That's because we usually have to try several different things before we find what works, and we usually have to use many different treatment modalities all at once to keep the symptoms at bay. Please keep in mind that we can never cure allergies, but with appropriate therapy an allergic dog can be comfortable and have normal looking skin. My best suggestion for how to help you dog is to take her to a vet who is experienced with treating allergies and up-to-date on the most current allergy therapies (there are a variety of choices). I can also help by providing you with more information. I will attach some links to some excellent articles about allergies below. Additionally, I understand you have already tried numerous foods and I know it is discouraging that you haven't seen any improvement from doing this. Unfortunately, that is very common. That's because of...1. For many dogs, a food ingredient is not part of what they're allergic to.2. It is difficult to do a food trial in a meaningful way. For a food trial to be meaningful, you have to do a lot more than just change foods. You must select a food with a minimum of ingredients and the protein and carbohydrate sources must be novel (your dog must not ever have had them before, like kangaroo and oat). Additionally you have to be certain your dog takes in absolutely nothing else by mouth during the trial period, and you must give it at least 2 months before drawing any conclusions about it. Because this is all so difficult, I usually don't recommend food trials for my allergic patients until I have a high degree of suspicion that they are allergic to their food instead of inhaled things. As I mentioned above, there are many different therapy choices for managing allergies...omega fatty acid supplements and topicalsantihistaminesApoquelPentoxifyllineAtopicaprednisone and other steroidslimited ingredient dietsflea control productsspecial shampoosimmunotherapy (allergy shots) and moreSo, to get to the bottom of the problem and start developing a treatment plan that will work for you and your dog in your unique situation, you're going to need to develop a relationship with a veterinarian you trust. I'll attach those articles below. Please read them. I know it's a lot of reading, but there's some really good information in there.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=599
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=652http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=597http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=468 That's four different articles, and a lot of reading... but I think you'll find them very helpful.
Please rest assured I am here to help.You may still reply when you return online. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.
Just checking in to see if you have any questions after reviewing the information I have provided above. Please let me know what else I can do to be of assistance.
Thank you.
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian