Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 2 year old female lab mix started licking herself after

Customer Question
each urination yesterday. Should I be...
My 2 year old female lab mix started licking herself after each urination yesterday.
Should I be concerned?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/18/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question.My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
1- Where is she licking, her vulva?2- Is she urinating more frequently?3- Is the area red or sore?

she is licking her vulva. Not red or swollen. no increase in urine or frequency.

Friend, an occasional licking of her vulva to groom herself is normal. If she is doing it excessively this can an indication of either a urinary tract infection or vaginitis (inflammation of the vagina). The fact that she is not showing any other symptoms it could be an indication of vaginitis if she is doing it excessively. This is what you can do:
1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to make it worst. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at her vulva. 2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day for 5-7 days. 3- If no significant improvement after doing the above follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and urinalysis as initial screening test. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian