Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

About a week ago my dog got into some cooking oil he's

Customer Question
Hello. About a week ago...
Hello. About a week ago my dog got into some cooking oil he's about 10lbs and ate about 1/4 of a cup. He was sick for about a day and then was fine. Since this past Monday he hasn't been feeling well. Monday he east eating and was doing this trembling thing when he breathed. Not constantly but sometimes. I took him to the vet. I explained I didn't have the cash to run bloodwork that day so they put him on an antibiotic. They gave him 2 shots and sent me home with some pills to give him . 1/2 a pill for 10 days. Later monday afternoon he began eating again. Since monday he's thrown up 1 time didn't seem serious. But his energy level is still low
He acts like he wants to play sometimes but then doesn't follow through. And he's still doing the trembling thing a few times per day. I dont know what to do he seems to be getting a little better but I feel like after 4 days he should be closer to normal by now.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/18/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
While I necessarily must conjecture why Walter hasn't remissed completely by now, it's important to note that pancreatitis has been seen when there's a history of ingestion of a high fat meal and so much cooking oil would qualify as such a meal. Symptoms of pancreatitis are nonspecific but often include inappetence, vomiting, and abdominal pain which can be evidenced by the trembling you're seeing.
Treatment of pancreatitis is symptomatic and supportive. If Walter continues to eat, you need only feed a low fat diet for a few weeks - these are usually diet foods over the counter although his vet carries ultra-low fat diets which would be more appropriate - and administering an over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) at a dose of 0.25 mg/lb twice daily should afford Walter some comfort. Omeprazole (Prilosec) at 10 mg daily is another good choice for an over the counter antacid.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Could it still be pancreatitis if he felt better for a few days and then was sick again?

I've read about the boils chicken and rice diet for dogs with digestive issues... Is this the type of situation switching him to that diet temporarily may help?

Am I worrying too much? Or should he have been back to his normal self by now?

Yes, pancreatitis is known to recrudesce - relapse without cure in between events. If you switch diets, yes, chicken breast (no skin) + white rice is an appropriate low-fat diet for a week.
You're allowed to be concerned. Please note that many cases of pancreatitis remain symptomatic for a week before remissing.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Okay one more question...

One thing that's made me doubt its pancreatitis is that his stool has been normal. Is loose stool a determining factor for pancreatitis or just a possible symptom?

It's one of the symptoms we might see with pancreatitis but isn't necessarily present in all pancreatitis patients. Vomiting is the more common symptom indicating GI distress.

Well he's been eating normally and vomited once since he's been on the antibiotic (monday)

Those are positive prognostic signs.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian