Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has not drunk water days

Customer Question
my dog has not drunk...
my dog has not drunk water for 2 days
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/18/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Is she eating?
2- Any other symptoms?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
she is eating, I cut back on food and she wants more. She is usually very active. About 3 days ago, she was sluggish and is more active now, but just not herself. She may have eaten some food kids throw over the fence.
1- Can you expand on how she is not herself?
2- Can you open her mouth and make sure there is nothing stuck under the tongue, gums, teeth, etc.?
usually the minute I get up she is behind me. Now she is slow to follow me around.
Is this an emergency?
Friend, a decrease in water intake or appetite is a very non specific symptom to an underlying medical problem. There are many different conditions that will affect a dog's appetite. Anything from dental disease to infections or even part of a systemic disease are all possible. It is also important to remember that they also get water from their food.
I would recommend you offer her low sodium chicken broth to get her to drink. In addition, I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian to make sure she does not have an underlying medial problem affecting her appetite/water intake. If she is still eating this is not an emergency.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter
Hi Edde,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Media Noche. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian