Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 14 year old cockapoo who has Cushings. She is currently…

Customer Question
I have a 14 year...
I have a 14 year old cockapoo who has Cushings. She is currently on 22.5 mg of Trilostane daily. She leaks unrine and has been placed on 25 mg. of Proin. Occasionally she pees in the house. She has been trained to do her business outside. I was thinking about getting her some pee pads for indoors, but don't know what brand or how to go about training her to use them.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/18/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you!
It sounds like your pup is very well loved I commend you for looking into options for her! As far as pee-pads, one brand isn't necessarily any better than another so I would pick whichever is cheaper or on sale. As an alternative, you might consider one of the following options as well:
- A re-usable indoor dog mat: these are designed to mimic grass and can save you money in the long-run if you are willing to have to clean it. Here is one such product:
http://www.amazon.com/PetZoom-Pet-Park-Indoor-Potty/dp/B002ZHRTAK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434639702&sr=8-2&keywords=dog+pee+pad
- Doggy diapers: especially if she leaks urine, this may be a good option for her. Pet diapers come in both re-usable and disposable varieties. **An important note: just as with babies, be sure to check the diaper often and change it as needed to avoid diaper rash (urine burns)**. There are many options available:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dog+diaper&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adog+diaper
As far as training, positive reinforcement is always the best training method to use. What I recommend is when she asks to go outside to use the bathroom, take a pee pad with you outside and let her go on it outside first. Then once she learns she is allowed to potty on the pad, bring the pad inside. The important part of positive reinforcement then is to always reward the behavior you want- so she should get lots of praise, pets, and a treat whenever she uses the pad appropriately.
Thank you for your question, I hope you find this information useful. Please feel free to respond with additional questions, and once you are satisfied with my answer please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time.
Have a great day!
Dr. Drea

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian