How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask petdrz Your Own Question
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 7349
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
petdrz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am at a loss to do. My dog Ozzy, an 80 lb, 6 year

Customer Question

I am at a loss for what to do. My dog Ozzy, an 80 lb, 6 year old Pit Bull, has had diarrhea on and off now for about 2 weeks. Last Friday he began vomiting. We took him to the vet when the diarrhea initially started. They put him on Metronidazole, Cerenia and probiotic. That seemed to help for about 3 days. He then started again with diarrhea and vomiting. We took him to the ER as it was after hours. They told us to continue the Metronidazole and added Sulfasalazine. This helped for a couple of days. He started the diarrhea again. We went back to his vet. She decided to to take some x-rays. She was concerned that he may have a blockage and recommended an abdominal ultrasound. She gave him a shot of Cerenia and sent us home with two boxes of Cerenia and Sucralfate. We got the ultrasound done this past Sunday. It showed some inflammation of the small intestine but no blockage or lymphoma. The internal medicine vet put Ozzy on Fenbendazole. After all of this he still has diarrhea and he got us up 5 times last night. He has small liquid bowel movements. No blood. He is eating and drinking. We have him on a rice and boiled chicken diet right now. We have had to use some yogurt to get him to take the Fenbendazole. We also added some plain pumpkin at the suggestion of internal medicine vet. We just dont know what to do from here.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
........
Based on the symptoms that you describe and Ozzy's response (or partial response) to the previous medications given, your best course of action at this point is to have a biopsy of the intestine. If the ultrasound was indicating inflammation, the biopsy would better identify the type of inflammation and also to rule out any other infiltrative intestinal disease, such as cancer. It is really impossible to differentiate some intestinal cancers from inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) with an ultrasound.
.....
Some forms of IBD are managed with medication or diet, but it is always better to know what type of inflammation is involved as it will aid in making the most appropriate medication choices.
......
Here is a link with more information about IBD and how it is diagnosed and treated:
.......
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=598
......
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is the cost, ballpark, for an intestinal biopsy? I have exchanged emails with my vet and she wants me to stop giving Ozzy yogurt and start more Metronidazole for an additional three weeks.
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.
The cost of a procedure like that is highly variable depending on what part of the country you live or if it performed via an endoscope versus exploratory surgery. Endoscopic procedures would generally involve less cost as it is not as invasive a procedure, but does still require specialized equipment and a trained veterinarian. I would venture to guess that it would be in the ballpark of $500 to $2000 depending on the variables mentioned above.
.......
Good luck with him. I hope the metronidazole helps. It can take a few weeks for the inflammation in the gut to calm down and some pets actually require chronic dosing with it, but metronidazole is often very effective. Please keep me posted as to how things progress.