Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My friends has a small terrier. He just swallowed a medium

Customer Question

My friends has a small terrier. He just swallowed a medium size and chewed ball of saran wrap. The dog is not shocking, however. he seems fine. Should I worry?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. This is one of those situations where this Saran wrap may or may not be an issue. Could it have been chewed up to small enough size to pass benignly through his intestinal tract? That is the unknown. It is great that he's seeming fine at this time. If the ingestion happened less than a couple hours ago, inducing vomiting could be tried to see if it could be brought up. IF it is vomited up, then problem resolved. IF it has been longer than that, it could already be passing through the intestinal tract and not be able to be brought back up. The clinical signs to watch for as far as warning signs of a blockage are vomiting, loss of appetite for 24 hours and abdominal pain. If these are seen, then the possibility of a blockage raises and getting him evaluated ASAP is definitely recommended. If he continues to act normal, eat normal, and drink normal - then it would seem that it would not be an issue as far as a blockage. At this point, the Saran wrap wouldn't be seen on a x-ray to see where it is at.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sonya,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Toto. How is everything going?