Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a two pound dog and I took him walk earlier and

Customer Question
I have a two pound...
I have a two pound dog and I took him for a walk earlier and then my boyfriend and I left and when we came home he was going crazy running around in circles and we think he got some kind of drugs off the sidewalk methamphetamine maybe crack cocaine I'm not sure we live in a bad neighborhood
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/18/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
It does sound like he may have gotten into something. It's hard to know what it is, but we treat these toxicities pretty similarly.
The treatment is by putting them on IV fluids to flush out the toxin. With cocaine or meth, we can see extremely elevated heart rates. We'll use beta blockers like Propanalol to get the heart rate down. We also use a sedative, Acepromazine, to help sedate them as needed.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Hi Carol,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Carol. How is everything going?