Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am desperate. My dog is riddled with cancer and is inso much…

Customer Question
I am desperate. My dog...
I am desperate. My dog is riddled with cancer and is inso much pain and i need to euthanise him asap. I am isolated on the Nullabor with access to Morphine. What dosage can i give my 40kg dog for him to pass comfortably.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/18/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I'm sorry to hear about your dog.
Unfortunately, there is not really a way to euthanize with Morphine. Dogs don't really get the respiratory depression like we see in people that can lead to death. In dogs, we get GI side effects- vomiting, diarrhea.
I would be more apt to just give 20 mg every 8-12 hours to keep him as comfortable as possible.
The only humane euthanasia method to use at home, is a properly placed gunshot to the head/ brain. I would never recommend that somebody shoot their dog, but that is the only humane alternative to euthanasia solution (Sodium Pentobarbital).