Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My shiba mated twice. In an effort to keep them apart my son

Customer Question
My shiba mated twice....
My shiba mated twice. In an effort to keep them apart my son put one clothe diapers on both of them. The male must have tried to mate her wearing it and must have injured his penis because now he has been bleeding from his penis. This has been going on for 2 days. he does not seem to be in pain other than not being able to get together with his mate. What do I do now?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/18/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Yes, I can see how he might have injured himself. The tincture of time should suffice but I'm concerned that he's been bleeding so long. That can occur if an artery were damaged and if so, he would need that artery cauterized by his vet. Erectile tissue may also have been damaged and that's more difficult to control. Acute prostatitis is another consideration because such bleeding is pathognomonic (particularly indicative) of prostatitis.
Unless Kitsune's bleeding has already stopped, his vet should sedate Kitsune and perform a thorough examination of Kitsune's penis and rectally palpate Kitsune's prostate gland. Any treatment, then, would be predicated upon findings during that exam. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
He has stopped bleeding and everything feels fine. He is not in any pain. Now if I could manage to keep the two apart without loosing my mind
!!!!! I know what you mean. Thank you for good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kitsune(Male) Tuski (Female). How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian