Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have an eleven year old small dog. That has cataracts. He…

Customer Question
I have an eleven year...
I have an eleven year old small dog. That has cataracts. He went blank be two weeks ago. Has a clear drainage from his eyes and ever since he went blind has had diarrhea. He is an inside dog, I watch his diet very carefully and it hSnt changed. He has had two bowel obstructions that were surgically repaired and at same time bladder stones removed.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/17/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Karing, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Hi there,
I'mCustomerand I would be glad to help with your question about Max. I'm sorry to hear that Max is blind. You don't mention how long his cataracts have been present or if they are fully mature (i.e. making the central part of his eyes appear white or milky). I would just like to add that your dog may have cataracts but there is another reason for his blindness AND cataracts that develop quickly in dogs (i.e. over several weeks rather than years) may be the result of another disease such as diabetes. Most people notice their dog drinks a lot and urinates large volumes often when diabetes first develops.
Diarrhea occurring simultaneously with blindness may suggest some stress or pain as the trigger of the diarrhea and I would not expect that to be the case with cataracts as the cause of blindness. This is because most dogs with cataracts lose their vision slowly and adapt quite well. Therefore, I am suspicious that cataracts alone is NOT the problem. Cataracts can lead to the development of uveitis (i.e. inflammation in the chamber of the eye in front of the lens causing low pressure that is painful) or ultimately glaucoma (i.e. elevated pressures in the eyes that is very painful). Either condition may present with some tearing as you have observed. Of course, there are many other causes of blindness that may be considered if cataracts with or without secondary uveitis or glaucoma is not at play.
I would strongly recommend an exam by your veterinarian with a thorough evaluation of the eyes to include pressure measurements. If the cataracts developed very quickly, then evaluation for diabetes (if present, may contribute to diarrhea) via lab work is advised. Fecal testing for parasites is always a good idea when dogs get diarrhea. Your veterinarian may prescribe something to help resolve the diarrhea faster or recommend other tests depending on exam findings and severity of the diarrhea. To start, I would suggest Purina Fortiflora canine probiotic once daily and a bland prescription diet such as Hill's w/d canned food to help resolve the issue.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Sincerely, Customer
His eyes a milky looking and he has had them for a while with decreased vision. He did go all the way blind rather fast. Doesn't seem to be in pain. I was wondering if he could have had a small stroke. His energy was low for a week then picked up. Today he is worse again.
A stroke is one possible explanation for sudden blindness but it doesn't explain the tearing if rom Max's eyes. I will also say that dogs don't always exhibit pain the way we expect. Since the eyes are a fragile organ, I advise prompt exam to evaluate for treatable and perhaps vision sparing conditions.
Hi there,
I wanted to check in and see how Max is doing. Please let me know when you have a chance.
Thanks, Customer
Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian