Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog keeps trying to poop he is a ninety lb lab and he…

Customer Question
my dog keeps trying to...
my dog keeps trying to poop he is a ninety lb lab and he is also sick and puked fivee times in the last six hours and nothing will come out at all but the last time he tried water came out of his poop
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/17/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Was there anything new introduced? Any new treats, people food or a new bag of dog food? Any toys or articles of clothing he could have eaten?
I gave him one of them big bones like you get at Walmart other than that its always purina one and scraps
hello any ideas
There are a few possibilities of what could be causing the signs you are seeing at this time. One is if he got a bigger piece of the bone off and has it lodged in his stomach or intestines, unable to pass food past it. With seeing some diarrhea though, this is less likely. The most likely causes are GI upset secondary to having to process the higher fat, high protein process; or pancreatitis. The signs of trying to poop is secondary to the inflammation in the GI tract causing the feeling of having to go when nothing is there to move through. There are a few options you have at this point.
With simple GI upset, we withhold food for 24 hours and then introduce a bland diet. The bland diet can be cooked at home with bland, white chicken breast with NO SEASONING or lean cooked ground beef NO SEASONING and plain white rice. You can also use a prescription bland diet such and I/D, W/D or Royal canin gastrointestinal formula. I recommend small, frequent meals, to get the GI tract back on track. Do not continue to feed more food too quickly as this can cause a setback. Once the diarrhea is resolved, you can slowly mix in more of the dog food and mix out some of the rice mixture. This transition needs to be over a few days so we can watch for diarrhea to return.Sometimes diet is enough to help but other times pets need a medication called metronidazole or metronidazole and amoxicillin to stop the diarrhea. This needs to be prescribe from a veterinarian.If further signs develop such as repeated vomiting, decreased energy level or no appetite, further tests need to be completed to be sure something more severe is not going on, such as pancreatitis.The pancreas is part of the endocrine and digestive system, which is integral for the digestion of foods, producing the enzymes that digest food, and producing insulin. When the pancreas becomes inflamed, the flow of enzymes into the digestive tract can become disrupted, forcing the enzymes out of the pancreas and into the abdominal area. Many dogs start with not eating, lethargy, increased respiratory rate and vomiting or diarrhea. With pancreatitis, the digestive enzymes will begin to break down fat and proteins in the other organs, as well as in the pancreas. In effect, the body begins to digest itself. Because of their proximity to the pancreas, the kidney and liver can also be affected when this progression takes place, and the abdomen will become inflamed, and possibly infected as well. Diagnosing pancreatitis can be quickly with a rapid SNAP test called a cPL. Treatment involves fluid therapy and careful monitoring of their electrolytes. If your dog is vomiting, food may need to be withheld, but ideally not for more than 48 hours or hepatic lipidosis can occur. If vomiting is persistent, drugs will be prescribed to help control it, and if your pet is experiencing severe pain, pain relievers can be given. (Pain medication should only be given with supervision from your veterinarian.) It may also be necessary to give your pet antibiotics as a preventive against infection.Because there is a potential for pancreatitis secondary to eating the bone, my best recommendation is to have the cPL test completed. If negative, then the vet can prescribe medication for the diarrhea and give an anti-nausea medication called Cerenia for the vomiting. If positive, the vet can start fluids at that time. After reading this information, let me know if I can help further.