Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My yorkie is a year and a half years old, about 4 months ago

Customer Question
he had a luxating patella...
My yorkie is a year and a half years old, about 4 months ago he had a luxating patella surgery done to him. He's been fine throughout the healing and been taking it easy on the leg to not over exert the leg but recently he started limping on the same leg for a few seconds throughout the day. We have anti inflammatory medicine the vet had given us for these occasions which tend to help but lately he's been limping a little more then usual. He has a vet appointment tomorrow but since he woke up today he hasn't moved from the bed all day. He ate his food in the morning and we brought him to his wee wee pad to go and he did but after he did he laid right back on the floor. Now he's still in bed, doesn't want to move. Also may I add its been really humid between yesterday and today over here in NY so I thought it may be the weather effecting his leg like it does with us humans? He walks a few steps without a problem but just wants to lay down all day...I'm just concerned it might be something else.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bailey. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
It is a good sign he ate, but I am worried about him not moving. Could you possibly take his rectal temperature? Normal is between 101 and 102.
Are his gums pink in color?
Does the knee where the surgery was done feel at all warm or swollen to you?
Even if it is hot and humid, a dog this young should not be so lethargic. I think something is going on, and it may or may not be related to the surgery. Glad you are getting him checked out tomorrow.
Let me know what else I can help with or answer, and how he is doing.
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian