Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a dog that is sick and lethargic. Will not eat and only

Customer Question

I have a dog that is sick and lethargic. Will not eat and only wants water then throws it up again. What do you recommend outside taking her to the vet. She is red tick hound dog.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I know you don't want to go in to a vet, but I'm a little worried about a foreign body obstruction. This is a common cause of vomiting in young dogs. Parvo virus is another possible cause if there is also diarrhea, especially if she's not vaccinated properly.
If you want to try something at home first, you can do the following:
1. Withhold food and water until he goes 6-8 hours without vomiting
2. Give over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours
3. After the fasting period you can try either a bland diet of broiled chicken/ hamburger and rice. If not available, you can just give small frequent meals (3-4 meals/day rather than 1-2 meals/day). If any diarrhea is noted, you can also give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin with the meals. The extra fiber helps firm up loose stool and promote normal colon motility.
4. This will usually resolve the signs in 2-3 days if a non-specific gastroenteritis.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.