Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What is making my dog not eat not only dog food but anything…

Customer Question
What is making my dog...
What is making my dog not eat not only dog food but anything unless I feed it out of my hand? She seems not to want to chew and will only eat a little soft can dog food when she has been eating dry dog food?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Karing, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Hi there,
I'm sorry your dog Hope is not eating well. Her selective appetite and need to be coaxed to eat is concerning. The two broad categories of problems that cause this are pain (from any place on the body) and inflammation from anywhere that sends signals to the brain to trigger nausea (i.e. vomiting may or may not occur).
You don't mention how long this has been going on, but if it is for more than 48 hours, then I would advise Hope be examined by a veterinarian. If they cannot find the cause of the problem on physical examination, then diagnostic tests may be necessary. Routine lab work to include a chemistry panel, complete blood count with differential, urinalysis and fecal test for parasites as well as abdominal x-rays may be necessary.
At home, you can continue to offer highly palatable foods (bland and low fat are preferred) and hand feed but please do seek care from a veterinarian if this persist beyond 48 hours or immediately if other symptoms develop. You should observe stool and urine output to make sure things look normal. You can try giving Pepcid AC at 5mg per 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours for mild nausea as this is very safe/harmless. Beyond that, I would not recommend any other at home treatments since we don't know what the problem is.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Sincerely, Customer
Hi there,
I hope you received my response and found it helpful. I wanted to check on hope and see how she is doing. Please let me know when you get a chance.
Thank you, Customer