Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog has asthma to the point it sounds like a goose honking.

Customer Question

My dog has asthma to the point it sounds like a goose honking. I have him on Benadryl but would like to put him on a glutathione precursor to raise his levels. He is genetically prone to allergoes because he is a white West Highland Terrier. What do you recommend that is the best for him. He also has a thyroid condition.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
The most common glutathione supplement we use in dogs, is Denosyl. It's a combination of SAMe and milk thistle.
Personally, I use inhaled meds for asthma. I give a combination of an inhaled steroid (Fluticasone/ Flovent), along with a broncho-dilator (Albuterol). I give them through a spacer made for dogs. You can see how these work at:
http://www.trudellmed.com/animal-health/aerodawg
I don't typically use Glutathione in my asthma patients, but it's safe and worth a try. Let me know if you think it helps, I'd be interested in hearing.
I am assuming that asthma was diagnosed with chest x-rays. If not, that needs to be done. Collapsing trachea is a much more common cause of a honking cough than asthma, in dogs.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.