Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

My name is ***** ***** have a . dog name Molly

Customer Question

Hello my name is ***** ***** have a .
dog name Molly she the smartest dog in the world. What i wanted to say is my husband pick her up from our home on Friday and wanted to to take her to work with him. We always take her she's a therapy
and she would encourage the patients when they were sad and made them feel happy. Well when he picked her up i dont know what he was thinking but he left her in the car for five hours and now she has been in the hospital for 5 days And the doctor is saying that she is going to getting better but nothing seems to change. She said that if we decide to put her to sleep that she would give Molly treatment and keep her i would never want to five up on her. But my husband is telling me that we are already at six thousand dollars. I get so angry at the thought that he would even think about that. I ask him how could you forget about our dog what was on your mind.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tyra,

I'm so sorry about your dog Molly: the story is very sad indeed. She sounds like a wonderful dog. She is young which is to her advantage in recovery. I don't have all the details of her current condition, but I am inclined to encourage you to continue her care if it is affordable.

You should know that only about 50% of dogs with heatstroke survive. The prognosis is mutlifactorial and will depend upon the severity and duration of exposure to abnormally high temperatures, the progression and severity of complications that develop afterward, as well as, time until treatment is initiated (if it takes longer than 90 minutes to reach a vet once the problem is identified, then the prognosis is very poor).

It is important to monitor lab parameters and repeat physical exams on arrival and every 12 - 24 hours thereafter in order to evaluate for complications that can occur after heatstroke. In particular, attention should be given to coagulation times, glucose values, liver and kidney values, monitor for bleeding that can present as bloody diarrhea or brusing on the body and monitor for trouble breathing that may occur due to pumonary edema (i.e. fluid on the lungs). Adminstration of fresh frozen plasma can be very helpful and oxygen therapy may be beneficial as well. Of course, your dog should be on IV fluids and after 5 days, total parenteral nutrition should be considered strongly (feeding through the veins that usually requires a 24 hour referral facility).

The following are complications of heatstroke that are generally associated with a poorer prognosis:
1. Animals that present in a coma or show progressive neurologic deterioration
2. Hypothermia (low body temperature) on presentation
3. Persistent hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
4. Kidney values rise despite adequate fluid therapy
5. Evidence of problems with blood clotting (high coagulation times, bruising, anemia)
6. Refractory hypotension (low blood pressure)
7. Elevated total bilirubin
8. Hear arrhythmias
9. Persistently low albumin (i.e. major blood protein)
10. Labored respiration, pulmonary edema
11. Low urine output despite adequate fluid therapy

You can ask your veterinarian about the above listed complications to see if Molly is experiencing those (also to make sure those are being checked for). You need to ask your vet about total parenteral nutrition (TPN) if Molly isn't eating. She would need to be referred to a specialist for this; but she will die without nutrition and has already began to starve after 3 days without food. A feeding tube is not a good option if Molly is neurologic (not mentally herself, not alert) because she is likely to aspirate and get pneumonia. You can also ask your vet how many cases like this he has treated before.

Keep in mind, Molly's best chance of survival is with intensive care 24 hours a day provided in a facility that sees such cases on a regular basis. Your vet sounds like a wonderful generous person but may not have the facilities required to best care for Molly. If you can afford it, moving her to a referral facility right away will give her the best chance. I think if you ask your vet directly about this, she will agree. I wish you and Molly the best: I know you love her very much.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Sincerely,
Hi Tyra,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Doctor, Im so glade to here thanks for responding to my message with Molly. She has been in the ICU for eight days now and she is coming along slowly. I cant believe her will and strength to want to live. She is a amazing dog. The doctor's said that she should of have been dead five hours in the car and 103 ° out side they said that she is a miracle. But there are a lot of complications with Molly her blood levels are getting better she had to get plasma yesterday and it perks her up. Her strength and energy is getting better. I have hope for Molly she so much more responsive .The other day when i was with her i ask her to give her mama a kiss and she had given me three kisses and from there on i knew she was going to be OK. We might be moving her to a veterinarian hospital today if the doctor approves. Thanks for getting back with me and asking about Molly that mean a lot . Tyra

Hi Tyra,I'm so happy to hear Molly has improved!! The fact that she has responded to you when you speak to hear is a very positive sign. Please keep me posted on how she does.Take care,Dr. Karing