jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

This is now the second time in about a week where my chihuahua mix, ap

Customer Question

This is now the second time in about a week where my chihuahua mix, approx. 7 years old, screams out ( I mean screams) and then wets in her bed. She seemed fine once I got to her basket tonight, she actually puts her head back down and appears sleeping again. I picked her up and took her outside and she walks fine but stays right with me until I bring her in and clean her up with a bath. She appears scared or might think she is in trouble but we hold her and clean her up and one of us holds her through-out the night. The first time, last week, she did this after the other dogs woke up and started barking at my daughter walking in the house at about 6am from picking up coffee. Tonight was at 2am, same scream then wets herself and the bedding. She is my skittish pooch, doesn't like fireworks or storms, tonight the Hawks won so there was fireworks and storms rolling through the area. Almost the same thing last week, storms on and off and some fireworks from a local ball field.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 2 years ago.
He Customer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Coco could indeed be having seizures. Not all seizures involve trembling and involuntary movements. Seizures can include involuntary vocalization and urination. Read more on seizures here:
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/seizures_overview.htm
Seizures can be caused by many things including hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). If this seems to be happening at night, be sure she is fed a small meal before bed to keep her blood sugar levels up overnight.
I also would not rule out stones though usually with kidney issues you do see an increase in drinking and urination.Passing stones can be painful.
If feeding a small meal before bedtime stops the behavior then that should keep the problem from occuring in the future. If she continues to have this problem even with an extra small meal, then have your vet take a look at her. It might still be seizure activity from an alternate cause or a kidney issue.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.