Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog (Louie)has had surgery 3 due to kidney stones..Well,he's…

Customer Question
My dog (Louie)has had surgery...
My dog (Louie)has had surgery 3 due to kidney stones..Well,he's perfectly fine!!but know he got a be sting in that area I found the stinger but having recurring boils underneath.. What do do??..the area is really sensitive but he's not acting any differentdifferent..I would take him to the vet but who i dont know who to trust!Hence the 3 surgeries!!!Jus need help by the Vet gods!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Poor Louie!
If he has been stung, then you can try to address this for him by treating with an antihistamine. Commonly we will use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) in cases like this. Dose-wise, we typically will give dogs 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight (1-4 mg/kg) by mouth up to 2-3 times daily. Please note that we can see a bit of drowsiness with Benadryl administration and often will start with the lower end of the dose range. And it goes without saying that you would want to double check with his vet before using this if he has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medication already. Further to this, you can cold compress the area and remove any stingers left from a this wasp or bee.
So, do try this now since he is otherwise fine in himself. Of course, if you do so but it doesn't settle, then we may need a check with the local vet to ensure there is no secondary abscess (a concern if its recurring, but treatable with antibiotics). And if there isn't but it is a severe allergic reaction, then they can also give him an injection with a long acting steroid to halt the allergic reaction to the bee/wasp venom.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian