jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

My dog doesn't actually eat the carpet, but he picks at it

Customer Question

My dog doesn't actually eat the carpet, but he picks at it with his teeth and paws and the. Unravels the strands from the backing. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 2 years ago.
JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
Is your dog 7 years old or 7 months?
Is it just carpets?
Wall to wall or area rugs?
What kind of toys does your dog have?
Do you reprimand him when you find it or as he is doing it or both?
JaCustomer,
I was hoping for some responses from you before giving my response, but I also want you to have some potential solutions as well.
First off, keep any pulls in the carpet cut to the height of the carpet so there are not as many temptations for him.
the other thing is to take a rug that he has done it to and put it where you both can see it or place a chair there where you can supervise him. Keep a leash on him and if he even puts his mouth or paws near a pull or starts to paw or lick, give a short tug on the leash to break his concentration and a firm low toned NO so he understand the behavior is not acceptable.
Additionally, if he does not display the unwanted behavior, reward him with a hot dog sliver as a treat. He'll catch on that he gets the treats when he doesn't paw or pull on the carpet. Soon he won't pull at all on the carpet. You can also have toys for him to play with instead. Dogs get bored with the same toys all the time, so never put all their toys out at once. Rotate them every week or so to keep them interested in them. I'd recommend some rope style toys so he can "pull" at those and leave the carpet alone.
You might also want to have a senior checkup done to ensure he isn't seeking some nutrient missing from his diet. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.