Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog swallowed a lot of Sluggo, what shoud I do?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
Sluggo, the slug and snail bait, contains iron phosphate as its active ingredient and is considered non-toxic to dogs. While toxicity isn't expected, iron phosphate can irritate Connor's gastrointestinal tract and cause diarrhea or, conversely, constipation.
As a precaution and to avoid further gi distress if your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.
Depending on how much was ingested the risk of anything more than gi distress is low but regardless I would induce vomiting if you are able and this was within the last hour or so.
Please let me know how else I can assist you both today
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am on-line another 10 minutes tonight
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!