Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My little 3 lb 11 yr old poodle got into my salad containing…

Customer Question
My little 3 lb 11...
My little 3 lb 11 yr old poodle got into my salad containing onions. She won't eat her dry food so i switched to little ceasars food which she is eating well but still can't get her to drink. She goes outside when i take her out and then she hides in a corner under our bed. Did i poison her?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/15/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting. I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. I would not worry about a small amount of onion from a salad, this will be very unlikely to have affected Niqita at all. The situation is that onions can indeed be toxic to dogs due thiosulphate poisoning, however I am glad to say that it actually takes quite a lot of onions to be toxic to dogs, the rule of thumb which I personally apply is that a single meal of one pound of onions can be dangerous to a 15 pound dog. This works out at around 1/4 pound of onions in your case, I would very much doubt if she would get anywhere near that amount from a salad.2. It is very encouraging that she is eating OK and it could be that she is getting enough moisture from her food but you know your dog best so if you continue to be concerned you should have your vet check her over. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Niqita is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the onion salad.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.