Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Labrador retriever sweat gland swelling in left front paw

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about the swelling on your dog's paw. I'm so sorry he isn't doing well, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
Please let me begin by saying it's hard for me to understand what you mean when you say it's the sweat gland in his paw that's swollen. Dogs don't have sweat glands in their paws to speak of, so I wonder what you're seeing.
There are a lot of other things that can cause a paw to swell, most commonly stings and puncture wounds and penetrating foreign bodies like thorns and grass seeds. These can cause the whole paw to swell up red and puffy, or make a large, puffy red blister between the toes.
Another thing that could look like a swollen sweat gland on a paw would be any of a variety of skin tumors.
If you'd like to click on the paperclip icon to upload a photo of your dog's foot, I'd be happy to take a look.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Just checking in to ask how things are going with your dog. Please let me know if there is anything else I might assist you with.
Thank you.