Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Why won't my dog eat?

Customer Question
Why won't my dog eat?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/14/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 2 years ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
I have a few questions that will help me get you the best answer possible:
How long has Disel been having this issue?
Have you already had him seen by his veterinarian for the problem? If he has seen his veterinarian what testing was performed and what medications prescribed?
Does he have any medical conditions you are aware of that could contribute?
Thanks for taking a moment to answer my questions. It really helps.
For about 7 days and no to both questions
he has been sick for 7 days was running a fever and vomiting but not anymore other no other conditions that I know of. He has not seen a vet.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
This sounds very concerning. His symptoms are vague (not eating, possible fever, vomiting) and could reflect one of many possible underlying conditions ranging from ingestion of unusual item that is trapped in his digestive tract to organ issue (liver, kidney) to pancreatitis to infectious disease (viral, bacterial, fungal) and the list continues.
To try to narrow down that list will require an exam by his vet and some testing that might include a CBC, chemistry profile, urine check +/- radiographs (X-rays).
I regret that I cannot be more specific for you with a diagnosis, but I too would need to perform the exam and some testing to be able to know what's troubling Diesl.
Since he has not improved I really must recommend you have him seen by his veterinarian as soon as possible. IF that is not possible tonight, then I can make some recommendations for you to try at home but in most cases with these signs all gets better within 2-3 days and if it does not then it is time for help. My top worry with my recommendations is that he is vomiting which means no medication may stay down long enough to exert an effect. This is why he really should be seen.
If he was my patient and you could not have him seen now I might recommend you try:
1) Continue to tempt him with a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day. You may substitute cottage cheese for the chicken or boiled ground beef. You can use low sodium chicken broth (NOT stock) to flavor the food as well and get more fluids into him.
2) Give famotidine 20mg at 1 tablet every 12 hours for nausea/vomit. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.
3) Encourage him to drink; perhaps even try an electrolyte solution such as Pedialyte for kids (non flavored).
4) Probiotic supplementation: Start a probiotic such as one made for dogs (Proviable or Fortiflora) or you may use culturelle as made for people (1 capsule daily). Or if you cannot get any of those products then give 1 tsp of plain yogurt once daily.
Indications this is an emergency: pain in his abdomen/stomach, bloody vomit/diarrhea, difficulty breathing, temperature of 104F or higher, profound lethargy/weakness or seizures.
Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Disel. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified