Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Can Tramadol cause increased panting? We have a dog with cancer…

Customer Question
Can Tramadol cause increased panting...
Can Tramadol cause increased panting? We have a dog with cancer - a neuroendocrine tumor - and it is spreading. He does pant occasionally, so in addadition to Rimadyl and Gabapentin the vet is having us give 100-200mg Tramadol every 6 hours (he was already taking 50 mg Tramadol). He's a 45 pound dog, but it seems like he's panting more than ever. While it could be pain, could it be the increased Tramadol? Thanks so much - were very frustrated.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/14/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 3 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Welcome! My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.
I am sorry to hear about this concern for Boo.
Yes, panting is a known possible side-effect of this medication. Other side effects can include pupil constriction, constipation, and sedation.
So, I would talk to your vet about maybe altering the Tramadol dose and trying to work with increased gabapentin instead. I am not permitted, by law, to give you specific direction on how to alter the drugs, since I have not examined Boo.
Also, ask your vet about also adding Amantadine for additional analgesic benefit.
Good Luck!
Hi Bill,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Boo. How is everything going?